Monday, November 5, 2007

Religions in Taiwan continued . . .

This is a picture of the Mormon temple that is right in my neighborhood. If you look carefully at the top/right you will see a large blue building with white lattice architecture . . . this blue building is right in front of my lane on Li Shui.



Many Mormon missionaries come to Taiwan. According to one of my new acquaintances in the neighborhood who is a nurse for the LDS church, there are well over 150 missionaries in northern Taiwan right now. They come for 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 years to talk with people and learn Mandarin while sharing their faith. I met Sister G. while taking out the trash:) Last Saturday, we got to talking about Chinese New Year, and I shared with her about my short term missions trip opportunity (which I'll let you in on right now . . . I'm going with a team to Thailand to pass out Bibles, tracts, and the JESUS film to mainland Chinese tourists. . . . more to come!). She mentioned that I should bring some copies of the Book of Mormon with to hand out. We smiled and chatted for a short time about the Bible . . . All the while, I was praying that the Lord would give me wisdom to lead in the conversation. We didn't have any big discussion out on the street corner Saturday night, but I know that God has big plans for garbage time. I came home and brushed up on Mormon beliefs and how they differ with Christianity--I love Google! Please pray for future "dump truck" conversations with Sister G. Confrontation evangelism isn't quite my thing, but I hope to just build a relationship and sow some seeds! God can do the rest . . .

No comments: