Sunday, June 1, 2008

2good + 2b= 4gotten


I've been in school for the past 28 years. One can collect a lot of refrigerator art and autographs during that amount of time. Packed away in some random box 8000 miles away are several packs of school pictures, 1 PR yearbook, 4 high school yearbooks, 1 NWC facebook, and 8 MA Lower School yearbooks. Three different diplomas and a fancy schmancy Principal's certificate are haphazardly tucked between newspaper clippings, theatre programs, physics exams, portfolios, photographs, dried rose petals, ticket stubs, pennants, and assorted forms of correspondance. Cassette and VHS tapes can also be found chronicling some act of creativity or sentiment . . . the Friends are Friends Forever mixed tape definitely made the cut!

I've had 28 years of new school supplies, first day jitters, and now, I'm on my 28 year of farewells and best wishes for a great summer. I know the end is near when the yearbooks are distributed . . . We passed out our Bethany yearbooks last week, and I've already been asked to sign quite a few of them. There is definitely some pressure when it comes to signing a yearbook, and unfortunately, yearbook autographs can be pretty random. I remember writing things like "Stay cool!" or "Never change!" Seriously?! How cool can a 7th grader really be, and in what world do people never change? Good grief. If I could go back in time, I'd try to write something really profound . . . like, "Enjoy life now, because it doesn't get any easier!" OR "It's true, the best is yet to come!" OR "Seriously, just be yourself."

As a teacher, I'm usually asked to sign lots of yearbooks. I tend to write something like this:

Tommy,
I'm so glad that I got to be your teacher this year!
Have a great summer, and don't forget to READ!
May God bless your socks off!
Love you bunches,
Miss Miller :)
Phil. 4:13

(Yep, you counted accurately--there are 3 exclamation points and 1 smiley face in that note!!!!!!!)

I guess all this end-of-the-year stuff has me thinking about transitions and changes. This has been a year of many of them for me . . . and I can report that God has been continually faithful! I don't know what the future holds, but I do ask for your prayers as I contemplate the year to come. I'll need to make a decision this coming fall regarding the option to stay in or to leave Taiwan--this is for the 09-10 school year. It seems far away, but I want to be sure this decision has some significant prayer coverage:)

Anyway, I'll be seeing many of you soon! I can't wait:)

Yours 'till Niagara Falls,
Marcy:)

No comments: