Monday, June 23, 2008

aka American Agent


For those who aren't aware, I have an American Agent (aka SUPERSTAR) to help me take care of all sorts of business while I'm living as an expat (aka EXPATRIATE) in Taiwan. Although she has a resume of wonderful skills and accomplishments, I mostly picked her because she was willing to work pro bono (aka FREE)...kidding, of course! She picked me, and I am soooooo grateful for her help!

Shannon Haugh (aka SHANNY) was my roommate for 8 years. I still say she's my "roommate," because I think that the title has stuck. I met Shanny nine years ago when I was looking for (aka DESPERATE FOR) a place to live. After being hired to teach at a school (aka MINNEHAHA ACADEMY) in the Big City (aka MINNEAPOLIS), I attempted to find a place to live that I could afford (aka GOOD LUCK!). Although I thought I would be living in my Aunt and Uncle's basement for awhile, God had other plans (aka HE'S IN THE DETAILS). Through a teacher I had never met (aka PAM, THE SPANISH TEACHER), I heard of Shanny's place in Eagan (aka 4303B CLEMSON CIRCLE). I stopped by, and after chatting for a bit about our lives (aka TEACHING and TRAVEL), looking at all the utilities, and enjoying a lovely beverage (aka TAP WATER), I was impressed. Shanny must have been too (or maybe more desperate than me) because she offered me the chance to move in (aka "IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE MY ROOMMATE, MAYBE WE COULD HANG OUT SOMETIME?!"). I said I'd think about it for a teeny bit (aka ONE HOUR), and after making a phone call to the referring teacher I hadn't met (aka "PAM, I KNOW I DON'T KNOW YOU, BUT YOU KNOW SHANNON, AND I JUST WANT SOME CONFIRMATION THAT SHE'D BE A GOOD ROOMMATE BEFORE I MOVE IN WITH A COMPLETE STRANGER--WHAT DO YOU THINK?"), I called Shanny up and said I'd take it (aka COMPLETELY LIFE-ALTERING PHONECALL).

Since that August afternoon, Shanny has become my very best friend (aka BFF) in the whole world! She's my travel buddy, counselor, cheerleader, accountability partner, and friend. We've had some lovely adventures together (aka UP NORTH, SAN FRANCISCO, IRELAND, ENGLAND, SAN DIEGO, 5,800 MILE WEST COAST ROAD TRIP, NEW YORK/EAST COAST ROAD TRIP, CRAZY 11-STATE BIRTHDAY ROAD TRIP, TAIWAN, and LOTS OF OTHERS), and I'm sure they'll continue. It's so much fun to have a friend (aka GAL PAL) like Shanny O'Haugh (aka SHANNON)!

Shannon likes Blog "Shout-Outs," so I think this one will make her smile! I am just so thankful for all the little ways she's made my life so much easier while I'm in Taiwan (aka REALLY FAR FROM HOME). I fervently thank God for prompting me to move in with a perfect stranger (aka SHANNY O) and blessing me with an Anne Shirley friend (aka KINDRED SPIRIT)!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I am speechless...

Yeah, right !! I was doing ok at camp (AKA my house)..( thanks for dropping off yesterday) until I opened up "Marcy's Musings" and read the most recent post !
You were right about making me smile but of course I found myself pushing in my eyes as well. You are the BEST- and I am not just saying that because you wrote so many nice things about me- you truly are the BEST!!! God is sooooooooooo amazingly cool and I too am thankful that you decided to move it with a perfect stranger!!

Now I really miss you !!!! =(
Love, Shanny O

Anonymous said...

I agree Shanney is the coolest PBPK I have met!
tm

Mia said...

Kindred spirits are a priceless blessing!