Monday, January 25, 2010

"FoR fAsT-AcTiNg ReLiEf, TrY sLoWiNg DoWn." --Lily Tomlin


Linus Van Pelt has a Blue Blanket.
Christopher Robin has Winnie the Pooh.
Garfield the Cat has Pooky.
Marcy Miller has Summer Magic!

Yesterday's blog entry was about some mild freaking out happening inside my little head.  After digging into the Word, spending time in prayer, and getting a good night's sleep, I woke up fairly refreshed and ready to face the day (even if it was raining like crazy...but you know, I just have to tell you--I bought some new rain boots when I was home for Christmas, and walking in the rain is so much fun when you can splash joyfully through the puddles in your plaid galoshes!).

As usual, it was a busy day and made a little more exciting by the fact that I stumbled onto the Yahoo play-by-play of the last minute of the 4th quarter of THE football game....I won't pretend to be a die-hard fan, but that game was intense (at least the couple of minutes I followed), and I was thinking that it would be kind of fun for the Vikings to actually go to the Superbowl because I guess we can even watch the game live in Taiwan.  Oh, well.  Maybe next year.


Anyway, in an effort to decompress tonight, I watched my all-time favorite relaxing movie, the very "famous" Disney masterpiece: Summer Magic starring Hayley Mills.  I'm sure you've heard of it, right?!  Well, I do think the fan base for this particular classic is rather miniscule, but maybe that's why I love it so much!  It's not a musical, but it has plenty of music worked into the story....and it's got Burl Ives and a small town and beautiful scenery and a barn dance and ringlets and ice cream and a front porch and dancing inchworms and a cute little boy and scary stories and stagecoach bags and ragtime and beautiful bountiful bows and a player piano and a rockin' car and a general store and a white country church and a handsome teacher and a perfect stranger.  What more could you really want?!  Ah, the plot may not be so deep, but the tone of the film is well, MAGIC!!


Watching this movie is like curling up with a good book in a comfy bed made with freshly laundered linens during a summer rainstorm.  It's like sipping hot apple cider in front of a crackling fireplace and watching a magical Christmas snow fall from the sky and land on twinkling lights.  Honestly, watching it is like lounging on a chair on a secluded ocean beach under a bright blue sky and a colorful umbrella listening to the waves crashing on the sandy shore while sipping a mango smoothie out of a coconut shell.  Ah....utter bliss!

I leave you to R E L A X with a clip from the movie . . .

(Hmmmm. . . . now, if only I had someone to linger with . . .
wouldn't that be fun *wink wink*?!?!)

1 comment:

Shanny O said...

I have been meaning to ask you about your plaid boots- I can imagine you must feel pretty youthful when wearing them!!!

Summer Magic--- I think you said it all !!! I exposed you to songs and you exposed me to cheesy, fairytaled, love stories =)