Sunday, January 24, 2010

Stealth Freaking

I realized today that Taipei has become "normal."  Well, "normal-ish."  I was in my old neighborhood today to get a divine hairwash and cut/style, and I found myself looking around and thinking, "huh, I've seen this stuff before."  In other words, my "Strange and Different Radar Detector" was folded up and stored away....along with the camera in my bag.

When did I turn into a non-tourist in Taiwan?
When did I stop marveling at the foreign world around me?
When did I stop taking pictures of cultural oddities?
When did I learn to drown out the constant noise around me?
When did I stop noticing every non-Asian face?
When did I . . .

You know something?  I'm conflicted by this realization today.
Lack of "Wonder" = Opportunity for a Change? OR Apathy? OR Fatigue?
Change = Stress & Transition
Familiarity = Security & Comfort


This blog is a bit of a bummer.  I guess it's one piece of what I'm feeling right now.  Today.  At this moment.  (So please don't worry about me, Mom!  This is NORMAL....just not very fun.)

It's so easy to stay....it's so easy to go.

I will be leaving.
It's just hard not to be overwhelmed by all the change.
And... I am feeling a bit overwhelmed.
BUT
God is good!
All the time!

Here's what I learned back at PFO (Pre-Field Orientation) before coming to Taiwan:

When transitioning, leave-taking is really important to do well, and building a RAFT helps:
  • Reconciling conflicts with others
  • Affirming relationships
  • Farewell to people, places, pets and possessions
  • Thinking ahead
Since I most likely need to have some sort of employment in order to support my single-self in the Land of the Free and Home of the Brave, I've found myself skipping ahead to the T step.  I know I'm going to be in the US, but where and doing what?  Well, thankfully, He knows.....but I don't have a clue!  Anyway, I'm trying to work on the other letters, and I'll post a list of the "places" I'd like to say farewell to soon, because some of you may find it interesting:)

So, what's the plan?  I'm going to stop freaking out (it's all been internal freaking....yep, stealth freaking!) and seize each day that God gives me!  I'll keep you posted on my progress:)

Thanks for your prayers....
Love you bunches!

1 comment:

Shanny O said...

Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the LORD.
Psalm 1:24