Thursday, August 30, 2007

I *HEART* IKEA

It's true . . . I do (ala "Eric, the Bike Man!" for all my MN friends).

You may have seen the scattered pics of my apartment throughout this blog. Well, I have been sleeping in the top portion of a child's bunkbed--complete with a guard railing and everything:) Now, please don't get me wrong--I have LOVED having a place to sleep during the month of August. It was even made up and ready for sleeping when I arrived way back on the 2nd! However, I have discovered that scrunching into this bed has hampered my efforts for a fabulous night's sleep. The width is fine--it's just the length that has been bothering me. I'm not that tall (and definitely NOT as tall as my BFF:), but my feet have been hitting the railing a bit.

So, I broke down and headed to IKEA (via taxi because I was splitting the fare with Rebecca!). After much browsing and additional purchasing (this was my 3rd trip this month), I finally found "MY GROWN-UP BED!!!!" I managed to write down all the numbers and head to the ordering/delivery station in the store. Believe it or not, I was able to order my bed, provide my address and phone number, and pay while only speaking Mandarin . . . . NAH!! but someday that will be true:) I'm very thankful for the partially English speaking employees at IKEA. Between things I've written down and a little sign language, I really was able to take care of business.

On Tuesday, my bed was going to be delivered. I invited/bribed Kevin and Rebecca to come over and help me carry it up (you pay by the floor) with some homemade mac-n-cheese and yummy hot fudge cake. While waiting for them to arrive, I got a phone call. The only thing I understood was "IKEA!" When I started mumbling in English, the man on the phone began to speak faster and started counting from 1 to 7. I wasn't sure if he was looking for my address (I live on Lane 7) or if he would be coming to deliver the furniture at 7. Before I could knock on my neighbor's door to have her talk to the delivery driver, he had hung up. I ran down to the door--just in case--but there was no blue and yellow truck.

Then, we're eating dinner, and sure enough, at 7pm, I get another phone call. Again, more Chinese---so I throw the phone to Kevin and after saying something--he says, "The guy just said in English--'Open the door!'" Arghhhh!!!

Anyway, the lane was too narrow and partially blocked by a car on the street, so the next thing I know, I see the very small--but obviously very strong and determined--man carrying the big, flat box with the "wooden" bedframe on his back. He carried it all the way up to my apartment without stopping! Then, he runs back down the street to the truck and the next thing I know, here he comes carrying a QUEEN-SIZED MATTRESS on his back. He was practically sprinting! I headed up the stairs to open the door again, and he follows me up--he needed a little help from Rebecca to get it around the corner--but he just kept coming! I was completely amazed!!!!! The delivery man reminded me a bit of Popeye. I have NO idea how he does his job day after day! All I can say is "Thank you anonymous IKEA guy!"

I couldn't wait, so I put the bed together on Tuesday night and enjoyed a remarkable evening of rest:) Ahhhhhhhhhhhh . . .

I guess when thinking about this, I've realized that the Lord is allowing me to savor moments of His goodness in my life. He used a "big blue box" store and a super-human strong little Asian man to minister to a weary teacher who left part of her heart (and her big bed) back in the US:) Praise God for being in the details!

So, if--no--WHEN you come to visit, I'll let you sleep in the "ADULT" bed that God gave me--unless you'd like to try out what I have affectionately named "The Crib"--(which God also gave me and makes me smile:).

Pleasant dreams . . . thanks for praying!
(On Sept. 2nd, I will have been in Taiwan for one month . . . hard to believe . . .)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Marcy,

Awesome! Glad you had a great night sleep on your new bed. Your "big bed" back here in MN misses you, but for now it is blessing me. I promise, I am taking very good care of it. Molly Mooms Haugh Haugh Miller Miller is enjoying hiding under it too. Good kitty....

Love ya,

Moni

Beth said...

Can't believe you hated "the crib!" :) I'm enjoying reading about all the interesting things that you are up to and the ways that God is blessing you.

Anonymous said...

Marcy-

Finally the truth is told.. I am soooo tall-- thank you for the acknowledgement!!!!! I can relate to your feet hitting the end of a bed, this often happened to me with my princess bed, but I have suffered in silence for all these years.

Love you and miss you !!!!

Shanny O

Anonymous said...

Marcy, oh Marcy... it's so great to hear of all the blessings God is placing in your path... who would've guessed a strong (yet anonymous) IKEA guy would be exactly what you needed when you needed him - God knew! And, He provided! :) LOVE THAT!!!

And, I'm so happy for you and your new bed! Brings back fond memories of that hotel in Rockford, IL that blessed our little roadtrip with the most AMAZING beds ever? Remember those? Ahhh... It really does make a difference!

You had me fooled for a moment with your ordering in Mandarin - the only mandarin I know is orange! They are delicious, but will not get me far at IKEA :) Have a little Mandarin orange for me, and I'll have one for you -it will be like a little piece of home :)

Happy one month!!!

Love, Pam