Thursday, August 9, 2007

MADE IN TAIWAN

Okay, I know--I know! It's been a week since I arrived in Taipei, and this is my first blog entry! I finally have an Internet connection today at school (it isn't hooked up in my home . . . yet!).

Wow! Where to begin?! After much last minute packing . . . and some crying, I headed to the airport on August 1st (thanks for the correction, Shanny!) with my parents and BFF and about 300 lbs. of luggage in the form of 4 large bags/suitcases and 3 smaller carry-on items. $400 and tons of hugs later, I began my journey. ( Praise God for providing a bulkhead/exit row/window seat for the long Chicago to Tokoyo flight!) I arrived in Taiwan at about 8pm on August 3rd after three different flights. The last flight took us over a typhoon in Japan, and I must admit that I used one of those cute little airsick bags not once--but twice! YUCK . . . I think it was the combination of little sleep and various aromas wafting down the aisles during a very turbulent ride. Needless to say, I was thankful to be on the ground. I made my way through immigration where my Resident Visa and passport was stamped and headed toward baggage claim. My luggage was actually in one of the first batches down the shoot (another PTL moment if you've heard about my luggage issues during this past year), and I loaded up the cart for the trip through Customs. I thought I'd have to open up everything and explain why I was bringing the incredibly random pile of things into the country; however, I was waved through the door and found myself suddenly in the meet/greet area. The flight came in early, so while I was waiting in the terminal, I happened to chat with an American family--they were boarding parents at Morrison Academy--Taichung Campus. What a small world! Anyway, (I never could summarize well . . .) I was met by Uwe Mauer (the principal) and Eloise Harder (former school counselor/principal/EVERYTHING) and we caught a van to my apartment. Uwe carried up all my luggage to the 2nd floor--all 300 lbs of it:)

I'll attach some pics of my apartment (before a week of shopping to places like the "Green Store"--kind of like Walgreens, B&Q--kind of like a Taiwan Home Depot, Carrefore--kind of like a Taiwan Walmart, IKEA, and COSTCO. I forgot to download my "after" pics--those will come tomorrow! You'll also see a pic of me on the street down by Taipei 101 (the tallest OCCUPIED building in the world) and with a group of new friends/colleagues. The IKEA pic includes Rebecca, my colleague who also lives in my same building. In addition, you'll see the little friend that visited the lobby area of my apartment building. His shell was about 3 1/2 inches long!

I'll write more soon--believe me--there's much to tell--but I have to run home before the IKEA delivery truck arrives with my new kitchen table! Thanks for your continued prayers and support! God has His hand all over this move to Taiwan--I have been continually amazed and thrilled with my first impressions. Pray that I can begin to quickly learn the language . . . It's tricky--but I really WANT to learn! I can't wait to share my new country and school with you:) May God bless your socks off today!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Miss Marcy-

I could have swore I was balling my eyes out on Aug. 1st, but I could have been confused brought someone else to the airport that morning! He He He =)

Thanks for the update--- it was sooooo nice to talk to you yesterday, I don't think I am freaking out too much now. j/k
I am looking forward to seeing the after picts too!!!

Have a good weekend--- love you ,

Shanny O aka BFF

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! You have experienced quite a whirl wind of activity!!! I love the pictures, and love the detail - no need to summarize, we love you and want to hear it all :) I hope your table arrived safely, and you continue to be blessed in your journeys!

Much love,
Pam