Monday, April 14, 2008

I *HEART* Parent/Teacher Conferences!

Now granted, after a day of talking non-stop from 7:45-5:30 with exactly 33 minutes of break time, I was not entirely "hearting" the experience. It was a long and very intense day. . . but so worthwhile!

However, I love the change of pace. I get to talk to adults all day long, and I love meeting with the parents of my students. My students are very interesting "little people," and they have some very interesting "big people" for parents. I learned a lot today:)

At the beginning of my teaching career, I used to be petrified of conferences. Parents can really be scary! Now, I know better . . . parents can often be unpredictable, but they are always strong advocates for their children. I was shocked to realize that parents can actually be intimidated by teachers. The child that sits in front of me in the classroom is not off the clearance rack--this child is the very best that a parent can offer--priceless. Unfortunately, teachers (myself included) can be very quick to judge parenting techniques (both good and poor) based on the child sitting in the desk.

I really have no idea as to the ins and outs of parenting. I do know that it's a very tough job with monumental significance. I work with children everyday, and I am feeling fairly confident that I've got some things figured out about teaching. However, after meeting with over 20 sets of parents today, I am reminded that education truly begins at home. As a teacher, I can only do so much. Parents in partnership with teachers make all the difference!

Now, with all that being said, I just couldn't resist having a little fun with this topic. Enjoy the cartoons and the poetry:)



Parent-Teacher Conference
by Darren Sardelli


At the parent-teacher conference,
my father made a scene.
He scared my fifth-grade teacher
with his mask from Halloween.

She showed him all my science grades
and said she was concerned,
but he just stuck his tongue out
when my teacher’s back was turned.

He drew a monster on the board
and claimed it was her twin.
He even shook her soda,
which exploded on her chin.

My angry teacher crossed her arms
and said, “This meeting’s done!
I now see where he gets it from—
you act just like your son!”



Text © Darren Sardelli, reprinted from My Teacher's In Detention published by Meadowbrook Press. Illustration © Stephen Carpenter.

No comments: