When I tell some of my friends that I'm introverted, they tend to say, "Yeah, right!" I guess I don't always appear to be an introvert, because most people think that introverts are shy. This isn't always the case. Actually, introverts can have strong social skills, but they are exhausted by these interactions. This is unlike extroverts who are energized by these same social interactions. So, as I was thinking inwardly (which is a basic definition of what it means to be introverted) today, I decided to do a little research. My research study consisted of reading 2 articles . . . it was a very exhaustive study:) Anyway, I found out that only about 25% of people test out as introverts. Hmmmmm . . . then it's no wonder that we're a bit misunderstood! I found an article from The Atlantic to be amusing. It's called "Caring for Your Introvert." If you're an extrovert--check it out! If you're an introvert--I think you'll find it refreshing!
In a nutshell, here's what I know about myself:
1. After a week of school, surrounded by people of all sizes, I need some alone time.
2. Alone time can range from 1 hour to an entire day, really! (I've been known to putter around the house for an entire weekend without talking to anyone . . . this "weirds out" my extroverted friends)
3. I love being around people--especially extroverts, and I love being asked to do things, but I'm not afraid to turn down an offer if I need a recharge.
4. I'm not shy, but it does take me some time to warm up to people and situations.
5. I have no problem with being "on stage" or with speaking to large groups of people. I actually really LOVE to be on stage, but afterwards, I'm exhausted.
6. If needed, I can act very extroverted, but again, I'm exhausted after the effort.
7. In large groups, I tend to look for other introverts (usually sitting alone or in a small group). We tend to have calmer conversations, and I'm more relaxed!
8. I'm not entirely introverted . . . I've got some extrovert traits, too!
9. Oh, and I don't really like to talk on the phone to people I don't know . . . but I don't know if that's being introverted or not . . . I just thought I'd throw it in the list:)
So, here I sit . . . alone and refreshed. I'm looking forward to attending church tomorrow and spending time with friends, but I'll bet that by the end of the day, I'll be ready to curl up on my couch and read a good book in the quiet of my apartment.What about you?! If you're not sure, take this non-scientific, but really easy,QUIZ.
Are there any extroverts out there who would like to write a guest blog entry? Send it my way, and I'll post it!

1 comment:
This posting cracked me up and also taught me a few things about you, the introvert.
I am glad you took it easy this weekend and re-charged yourself.
I hope to talk to you soon--- I miss you !
Shanny O
Post a Comment