Saturday, May 10, 2008

29 Days . . .


Yep, that's right, folks! In 29 days, I'll be jetting my way back in time to reclaim that day I lost 10 months ago. I'm going home!!! I'm very, very excited . . . and a little freaked out by all the work left to do at school . . . yikes! I've been thinking about what to bring home to MN, as well as what I'll need to bring back to Taiwan. I've been taken care of this year by all my visitors, but I'm not sure that I'll have as many next year, sooooooooo . . . I'm trying to get organized.

I remember talking with my friend, Paul Dwight, about what life was like as a missionary kid in Taiwan. I had always heard stories about "Missionary Barrels" sent from churches in the US, and he said that this was true. Life for a missionary was definitely different in days gone by. Now we've got technology like computers and the internet, digital cameras, and cell phones. Air travel is affordable (so they say:) and the mail is convenient and fast. If you're willing to pay, you can find just about any product or food item that you need (or crave!)--at least in Taiwan.

So, here's what's on my US shopping list OR dig through the boxes list so far (minus a few things too embarassing to post:):
  • Comfortable sandals (when you have big feet, these are tough to find!)
  • Casual clothing (I'm very tired of seeing myself in the same 3 t-shirts, 1 sweatshirt, and gauchos . . . uggg)
  • Pampered Chef chopper (I've missed you!)
  • Canned pumpkin (this import item costs a fortune!)
  • MN wild rice (of course, not available)
  • Red Hot candies (I couldn't find these little buggers anywhere! Cinnamon isn't a favorite spice in Taiwan.)
  • Twizzlers (yummy and not to be found anywhere!)
  • Resees (sorrowfully, these aren't found in Taiwan for less than $1US a candy bar)
  • Caramels (difficult to locate and expensive)
  • Marshmallow Creme (I never did find this.)
  • Muffin mix (VERY expensive)
  • Powdered sugar (I have to think about this one . . . I don't want to get stopped on drug charges:)
  • Random spices
  • B-fast cereal (expensive, and they taste different!)
  • Deodorant (I only trust my favorite . . .)
  • Contact solution (Walmart generic all the way)
  • Make-up (unless you're Asian, the colors here just don't work)
  • Oil-free sunscreen (impossible to find)
  • Over the counter meds (I'm sure similar products exist--but I want to be able to read the labels!)
  • Magazines (I miss you!)
  • DVDs (I have to raid my box . . .)
  • Books (a visit to Northwestern, Barnes & Noble, and School Stuff is definitely on the list!)
I'm sure I'll add more, but that's what's on my Post-it note right now. It's a good thing this will be on my blog--how terrible it would be if I lost my note:)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe it's only 29 days....you will surely be busy with your list while you are home.

I wish it was 1 day.. it will come soon enough !

Shanny O

Anonymous said...

Hi Marcy! :) :) So fun that you're going to have a chance to come home -- I ran into Shannon at the Casting Crowns concert and she said she had a GREAT time visiting you over the winter!!! I'd LOVE to see you when you're in town -- if you have a little get together or something, let me know!!! kimdkfoss@yahoo.com

Travel safe -- and have a blast getting all your US goddies while you're here! :)