Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Earthquake

This graphic shows the April 2008 Earthquakes in Taiwan.


If you're a "from the beginning" reader of my blog, you'll know that I've frequently slept through earthquakes. Actually, I have yet to "feel" the shake, rattle, and roll. For a long time, I've been feeling a little left out---I'm not a member of the IFTE (I've Felt a Taiwan Earthquake) Club.

Like most things I'm curious about, I've done my homework on staying safe in an earthquake. I've got a couple of flashlights in strategic positions. I know to open a door if at all possible so I'll have an exit. I even know about the sometimes disputed "Triangle of Life." However, I have to honestly say that after last week's disastrous earthquake in China, I would rather keep my non-member status of the IFTE Club.

Oh, it's so sad. Living in Taiwan, it's not too difficult to know of someone who has been affected by this tragedy. A few of my colleagues have worked in China, and they still have friends living near the quake area. So far, the news from their friends has been positive--a relief, to say the least. The last I saw, the death count was over 40,000 people. I suppose it's because I'm a teacher, but the saddest stories I've heard have been about schools collapsing and claiming the lives of 1,000+ students and teachers.

This morning in devotions, I was reminded that the death of these children is tragic on many levels. In a country of one-child families, the loss of the child means a loss of hope for the future. That child would have been responsible for taking care of his/her parents during their retirement years, and that same child would have been responsible for providing for his/her parents in the afterlife by leaving offerings, burning ghost/hell/spirit money, and worshiping the ancestors. Death not only means sorrow for the present loss of life but hopelessness for the life yet to come.

I guess you might say that it's time for a visit to Calvary. These precious people have not been forgotten. They are tucked in God's hand, and He is waiting for them to open their hearts to the unending love He offers. Please pray for those who are reaching out to the people of China. Pray for those members of families left behind. Pray for the healing of bodies, hearts, and minds.

Psalm 46

God is our refuge and strength,
always ready to help in times of trouble.

So we will not fear when earthquakes come
and the mountains crumble into the sea.

Let the oceans roar and foam.
Let the mountains tremble as the waters surge!


A river brings joy to the city of our God,
the sacred home of the Most High.

God dwells in that city; it cannot be destroyed.
From the very break of day, God will protect it.

The nations are in chaos, and their kingdoms crumble!
God's voice thunders, and the earth melts!
The LORD of Heaven's Armies is here among us;
the God of Israel is our fortress.


Come, see the glorious works of the LORD;
see how he brings destruction upon the world.

He causes wars to end throughout the earth,
He breaks the bow and snaps the spear;
he burns the shields with fire.


"Be still, and know that I am God!
I will be honored by every nation.
I will be honored throughout the world."


The LORD of Heaven's Armies is here among us;
the God of Israel is our fortress.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank's Mouse for the info and verses.
I still miss you .

Love Dad