I was home for approximately 15 minutes before I heard them . . . firecrackers! On my walk home, I had noticed that many of the shops had little tables set up in front of their business filled with fruit, snacks, and hell money. When you add firecrackers to the elaborate spread, you've got an especially auspicious day! However, the firecrackers were just the beginning. Drums, cymbals, and an obnoxious sounding horn-like instrument filled the early-evening quiet with a regular "Whoville-ish" sound. I was curious, so I threw on my shoes and grabbed the little video camera I had borrowed from school. Here's most of what I saw:
I found out later (thanks, Joseph!), that the parade was part of a birthday celebration for the goddess Matsu. ( wrote about Matsu earlier this year, so you can check the blog archive for more details.) If you weren't able to guess from the video (Yippee for iMovie!), Matsu is a really, REALLY big deal in Taiwan. If you check out this link, you can find out some more info about this special procession. It's actually one of three major pilgrimages that take place in Taiwan during the time of "Matsu's Nativity." I wasn't sure of the significance of all that I saw, but I was able to see the melancholy state of devotion mixed with saddness on the face of Matsu's followers. Only the businesswoman "paying" for blessings seemed to show some semblance of joy as the marchers "cleansed" her workplace.
So, here's the deal: Through the clatter, pompous displays, and utter hopelessness, I am confident that the Name Above All Names REIGNS. My God is living and active. He is not in need of a shelter or a chair and umbrella . . . God (with a BIG G) is the only hope for this city . . . this country . . . this world. He whispers truth in the midst of darkness. He offers comfort to the lonely. He gives strength to the weak. Please continue to pray for the people of Taiwan.
Monday, April 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
When I read the title of this post, I thought you were going to discuss loud cats outside your window.
Thanks for sharing the video.
Have a good day!
Shanny O
Ah, yes, the cats! They've actually quieted down lately, but they were going at it outside my classroom windows during a math test last week . . . good grief!
Post a Comment