Sunday, October 14, 2007

The Quest for a Driver's License in Taiwan


I love to drive... I miss driving... Although I don't anticipate doing a lot of car driving while in Taiwan, I just REALLY want the OPTION to drive. I have an International Driver's License that has been stamped by the Taiwan DMV, but I've been told that it's much better to actually have the "real thing." People have many opinions about Taiwanese drivers . . . and I won't go down that path . . . BUT the test is an interesting indication of what is important to the government of Taiwan. People like to take tests here, and their driver's license exam is a doosie:) If you'd like to check out what the written exam might be, check out the Tealit website. Just keep in mind that it is VERY important to be a moral and ethical driver. It's also a good idea to dress nicely while driving a vehicle because you represent the country of Taiwan. Also, if you hear people whispering about selling drugs in the back seat of your car, it is always your duty as a moral and ethical citizen to drive to the nearest police station and alert the authorities. Below this post is a video of the driving portion. Keep in mind that if you lose 30 points, you fail. You are not allowed to continue, and you may not retest for 7 days.

Last Friday, after a 6am practice with a teacher from school (Thanks, Tim!), Rebecca, Kevin, and I went to the DMV and took our written and driving test. (Earlier, we had gone with a group from school to take the "physical" portion of the test. They check your height, weight, eyesight, reflexes, etc. At one point you have to make a fist and bend you knees.) Anyway, we all passed the written portion (I got a 97:)--yippee! AND we all failed the driving portion--bummer. I got all the way to the backward "S" curve, and then I hit the curb with my front tire . . . I was soooo mad at myself because I could have started over:( ARGHH!! However, I'll get it next time . . . I hope:) Anyway, just a little more adventure in Taiwan . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, if I lived in Taiwan I don't ever think I would be able to pass that crzy test ...I have one piece of advice, be respectful to the examiner and don't tell him to shut up !!