
Well, I'm so glad you asked! We've just finished our first day of Spiritual Life Week. We have a special speaker, the brother of one of our teachers, here with his wife. The kids have Chapel daily, and there are some special events for kids, parents, and teachers. Today was just excellent, and I look forward to the week ahead. Thanks for your prayers for the students of Morrison Academy.
I have found it interesting to see what God leads me to do this year. Most of you know that I come from a fairly musical family:) However, I have never been the lead singer and pianist--that's been Monica--and I have never been the worship leader and guitarist--that's been Melissa--and I have never been the hymn pianist, peacemaker and song selector--that's been my mom--and I have never been the composer, guitarist, conductor, lead male vocalist, and harmonica player--that's been my dad. I've just been "Marcy"--the alto singer and former drummer of Pequot Lakes Elementary, Pine River Jr. High School, Lake Region Christian School, and MN Pipes and Drums (briefly and not officially). It's not that I don't enjoy music--I love it (although I must sheepishly admit that I only listened to the Gaither Trio when I was growing up)--I just have never seen music as "my" ministry or area of service. So, what does God have me doing at Bethany? Well, I lead music once every 3 weeks for the 3-5 grade Chapel, and I sing on the All-School Worship Team. Not only that, but I'm also on the speaking rotation for the 3-5 grade Chapel. I'm humbled--but thrilled with my new areas of service! I only wish I could play some sort of instrument . . . oh well . . .I wonder about trying the kazoo?!

Oh, here's a fun tidbit from the "Memories of Marcy": When I was really little, and we went to Pequot Baptist Church, I remember my mom making big posters for us to sing from during Sunday School. There was "Apple Red Happiness, Gumdrop Cheerfulness, Cinammon Singing Inside," "I am a Promise," "If I Were a Butterfly," and "Kids Under Construction." When I was a little bit older, Mrs. Hovey, Mrs. Laubenstein, and Mrs. Norman would always lead the singing for Sunday School at Riverview Tabernacle (aka Riverview Church). I remember them holding great BIG song sheets with really awesome songs written on them--like "Climb, Climb Up Sunshine Mountain." Sometimes, they would even pull out the BIG song books that had the pictures and the words and we would sing songs like "Stop, and Let Me Tell You What the Lord Has Done for Me." Well, one of my very favorites was "Happiness is to Know the Savior, Livin' a Life Within His Favor. Makin' a Change in My Behavior, Happiness is the Lord."

CAN YOU BELIEVE that when I was looking through some song books that Bonnie (the former veteran 3rd grade Bethany teacher) left behind, I found THIS SONG! I was so excited, and I taught my class how to sing it. When it was my turn for Worship in Chapel, we sang this song using the old, lovely book, and it was such a wonderful experience! I was overwhelmed with how pure child-like faith really can be . . . it was just delightful! I told the kids that the book was older than I was--and our principal chimed in that it was even older than he was--they got a big kick out of that!
Now, lest you think that I'm stuck in the seventies, I must assure you that I followed up "Happiness is the Lord" with a DVD sing-a-long of "Trading My Sorrows." We try to let the praises ring mighty loud in Chapel!!
So, there you have it . . . yet another challenge and another change . . . I'm enjoying the RIDE . . .because "Real joy is mine no matter if the teardrops start. I've found the secret, it's Jesus in my heart!"
Have an "apple-red happy" day!

3 comments:
Did you write this posting in your sleep??
Have a great Tuesday with the kids...
Shanny O
Marcy,
Music memories. I was probably 8-years-old. At the Methodist church in Ely, Minnesota we lined up under the fir trees with our partners and marched in to VBS singing Onward Christian Soldiers. I can see us, knees high, shoulders square, chins high...singing like there was no tomorrow! I'm pretty sure the birds flitted around our heads and beams of sunlight broke through in a Disneyesque fashion. And white sandals...I remember white sandals with buckles.
Here's to the melodies in our heads and swaying to the music!
Carrie
Marcy,
You play a Mean "The First Noel" on the piano and you have a strong singing voice, something that I lack. God knows you can do it and I am glad that you are taking this step, you will be richly blessed.
Moni
Post a Comment