Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Red Bean Paste and Moonbeams


Okay, so I tried a genuine mooncake last night. Since it was a free mooncake given out at the big amphitheatre in Da'an Park by the light of the moon after the mayor of Taipei's official greeting and welcome, I figured I'd better try it (I mean with all the build-up and all)! Yeah, it wasn't great . . . Rebecca or Kevin (I can't remember because my brain and tastebuds were fighting the interesting texture and taste) reminded me that mooncakes were biodegradable, so I stealthly added a little red bean fertilizer to the hedge in the park . . . I'm not quite sure if red bean is supposed to be sweet or not. You can buy red bean ice cream here, but I just can't seem to wrap my mind around the mixing of ice cream and vegetables. . . hmmmm . . . yet another interesting difference in my Taiwan adventure!

Mooncakes aside (some really are very yummy--I guess I'm just partial to the non-genuine fruit-filled ones!), I had an enjoyable evening sauntering through the park with all the celebrating families. There were BBQs, musicians, and people wandering around with lit up devil horns and bunny ear headbands (not sure what the horns have has to do with the Moon Festival--but, oh well!). The moon was bright and beautiful, and the evening was balmy and breezy--just gorgeous!


This afternoon, the Morrison-Bethany community celebrated with a BBQ of our own. It rained a bit, but thankfully there is a covered part of our urban playground that has some picnic tables. What a fun time! I was craving hotdogs--of all things--so when a few of us headed to Wellcome (the nearby grocery store) for some BBQ fixings, I actually found some. Yeah, they weren't great . . . but at least they were hotdogs cooked on a grill! At these type of events, all the families are invited as well. It's amazing to see how God has brought our community together.

Anyway, enough for now. I had some sight-seeing adventures this weekend, and I'm working on becoming a licensed Taiwan driver . . .more blogging to come with lots of pictures . . . stay tuned and keep praying:)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to go festival goer! I feel like I was there :) I'm pretty sure the hedges needed a little input from the red bean... don't you just hate it when hedges are RBD (red bean deficient)?

Can't wait to hear about the driving adventures too - be careful out there, especially at 8:50pm - there are garbage trucks!

Miss you and love you!
Pam